Everyday Life

ORGANIC

ORGANIC
What emotions and thoughts does that one word excite? For me...I see the word and start blinking dollar signs!! However, I am someone who places that word high enough that I often find myself spending the extra bucks. I rarely buy "junk" food (as this is a budget drainer) so with the extra dollars saved I can splurge when it comes to fruits and veggies. I also rarely buy organic processed foods (kinda defeats the purpose in my mind), but I have always been a sucker for the organic produce.
Well, my thoughts and actions have been validated recently as I have read a few articles about which veggies you should prioritize in the realm of organic.
In the article I most recently read the author referred to this list as the "dirty dozen"
Peaches, strawberries, apples, nectarines, pears,
cherries, raspberries, imported grapes,
spinach, celery, potatoes, and bell peppers

I usually add carrots and onions to my list.
For those of you local shoppers I would encourage you to watch Kroger and Farm Fresh as both of these stores often carry sales on their organic produce allowing them to be budget pleasers instead of budget busters. I rarely can afford several of these from the list...so I just stick to the ones I can fit into the budget.

Another tip to remember is that "picking" season and Farmer's Market season is quickly approaching. And while it feels so much healthier to pick your own...or to purchase from a local farmer...it does not insure ORGANIC produce.
The problem is that many farmers are using chemicals to protect their crops and fruits and veggies that are porous absorb these harmful chemicals in great amounts. So, check with local farms and ask if they are organic growers...better yet, grow your own!

BEWARE of the new "All Natural" trend that is popping up all over your produce department! It actually made me laugh outloud today as I picked up a bag of green peppers and saw on the front that they were "All Natural"...duh!!! Has anyone ever seen a green pepper that was only 99% natural and 1% artificial??
This is the marketing scheme that is out to compete with the Organic campaign, so don't be fooled as you shop the produce department.
My last addition to this post is a homemade veggie wash that will take all the nasty wax and filth off of any produce you bring into your home...whether self picked, market bought, store bought, or organic you should wash everything!

Veggie Wash
1 cup water 1 cup vinegar 2 tablespoons baking soda 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix the ingredients in a bowl or jug. There will be a chemical reaction between the vinegar and soda causing some fizzing, but once the fizzing has subsided, pour solution into spray bottle. Let it set on your produce for 10 minutes then rinse and enjoy.




2 comments:

Jenny said...

YES! to organic when possible. I agree. Once I even found organic grapes for $3/pound cheaper than non organic. It was in the dead of winter, but still. Never hurts to check!

Kinda unrelated - but have you tried basic H as a cleaning product?

cadovius said...

you go sister! your tips are helping our happy home MORE than you know. I thank God for your willingness to research and share the info. I love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...